The deadline to apply has passed. It was 1 May 2022, 11:59 pm GMT.
Description: We are looking for an Operations and Administration Officer who will be responsible for providing support on operations and administration at Global Change Data Lab — the non-profit organisation that produces Our World in Data.
Contract type: Full-time, flexible hours.
Place of work: This position will be based in the UK. We prefer applicants who are able to work in Oxford; however, we will consider remote work within the UK for exceptional candidates.
Key requirement: Pre-existing right to work in the UK. We are a small organization and unfortunately do not have the administrative capacity to sponsor visas at this time.
Compensation: £30,000–£47,000 employee salary per year. Compensation and benefits will be discussed early in the selection process and will depend on your profile and experience.
Application & interview process: We will thoroughly review each application starting on 2 May. Selected candidates will be invited to complete a written exercise later in May. Based on the results from this exercise we will shortlist candidates for interviews in June.
We encourage you to apply early if possible because it helps us gauge how many candidates we’re reaching. But we don’t want you to rush your application—also helpful would be to send us a quick note now saying that you intend to apply.
Global Change Data Lab, the non-profit organisation that produces Our World in Data (OWID), is seeking a dynamic and driven Operations and Administration Officer to provide support in key areas such as people operations, finances and accounting, communications, and general operations and administration.
At GCDL we currently have two people working in this area. Esteban Ortiz-Ospina is the Executive co-director of GCDL and our Head of Strategy and Operations; and Valerie Rogers Muigai is our Operations and Finance Manager. As Operations and Administration Officer you will be working closely with them.
Our team is growing and OWID is a constantly-evolving project. The ideal candidate for this role needs to be passionate about using all their skills to help our team thrive and will be comfortable with a fluid role in a dynamic environment.
Global Change Data Lab (GCDL) is an educational charity with a focus on large global problems and international development. Our flagship project, the web publication Our World in Data, is focused on increasing the use of data and evidence to make progress against the world’s largest problems. Among those who rely on our work are international organisations, the governments of countries around the world, major businesses and news outlets.
This is an exciting time to join us. GCDL is growing quickly and our projects have a huge positive impact. Our team’s work is referenced in about 50,000 media articles annually, and now during the pandemic we are producing the datasets and infrastructure that inform billions of people around the world. Millions of people visit OWID every month and our data has an even wider reach, as it is used by institutions like Google, the WHO, and the New York Times.
Management and people operations
- Implement procedures and undertake administrative duties related to hiring, onboarding and managing staff and contractors.
- Help set up agreements with external partners, volunteers and other collaborators.
- Help with management and administration of office resources including office space, software, subscriptions, computers, hardware, and other related office systems and equipment.
- Support the implementation and monitoring of internal policies (Health and Safety, Financial Controls, Conflicts of Interest, Expense Claims, etc.).
Finances and accounting
- Support fundraising campaigns and help manage our registry of donors.
- Support our Operations and Finance Manager with the preparation of both internal and external documents and reports related to finance and operations.
- Organize and process invoices, service orders, and other expense claims to ensure payments and expenditure reporting are up to date.
- Help conduct compliance checks, donor due diligence, and other regulatory responsibilities.
- Support processes related to donation tax arrangements such as Gift Aid.
- Manage insurance, inventory and asset depreciation logs.
General operations and administration support
- Support the organization of team events (meetings, workshops, etc.).
- Manage travel arrangements and business-meeting logistics.
- Prepare and minute internal and external meetings.
- Undertake other general administrative duties as reasonably required by the Strategy and Operations team.
Required for you to be considered:
- Undergraduate degree.
- At least 2 years of professional experience as a project administrator, project manager, or in similar roles.
- Pre-existing right to work in the UK.
Personal characteristics we look for:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially the ability to explain your views clearly and frankly but also tactfully.
- Skill in processing and interpreting data, particularly as it relates to operations and administration.
- Ability to make decisions under uncertainty and to assess potential institutional risks.
- Being proactive, assertive and action-oriented; driven to work without supervision.
- Conscientiousness and attention to detail.
- Curiosity, openness to new ideas, flexibility to learn from new evidence and receive feedback.
Other relevant skills and experience:
- Previous knowledge or strong interest in global development.
- Experience with social media and communications strategies.
- Experience working with nonprofits or startups.
At GCDL we want to create jobs that are enjoyable and meaningful, and we believe this requires creating a supportive environment for everyone in our team.
We place great emphasis on creating conditions that are compatible with our personal and professional lives, and our team hours are flexible enough to ensure that those of us with children can manage pick-up, drop-off, sicknesses, and the regular responsibilities that come with everyday life.
Email us at email@example.com with the subject line “Operations and Administration Officer” and include:
- Your CV or resume.
- A cover letter that details why you want to work with us and why you think you are the right candidate for the job. (maximum 500 words)
If possible, please mention in your email how or where you came across this job advert.