Updated daily
View our work on COVID-19 vaccinations

How many people do not have access to clean fuels for cooking?

59% of the world population have access to clean fuels for cooking (in 2016). The remaining 41% do not. This means 3 billion people do not have access to clean cooking fuels.1

The world map shows this data country-by-country. In many of the world’s poorest countries, almost no one has access to clean cooking fuels. 

Why is having access to clean fuels so important?

People who do not have access to clean cooking fuels have to rely on substitutes – these are solid fuels such as wood, dung, or charcoal.

Burning these fuels leads to millions of deaths. It emits harmful pollution into the home where it has significant health impacts for those who breathe it in. Millions die every year from household air pollution. These deaths are preventable by ensuring everyone has access to clean fuels.